Around the World – Plastic Bag Bans and Regulations
Many countries around the world have banned the use of plastic shopping bags. Here, we've listed some of the reasons for the bans, the advantages of the bans and countries around the world that are taking part.
Reasons for banning plastic bags
• Plastic bags are a major hazard to our environment in so many ways. Here's a list of the major reasons for plastic bag bans:
• They do not compose at a fast rate- most plastic bags, 20-1000 years to decompose.
• Wildlife dies every year as a result of trying to digest a plastic bag that they have mistaken for food. This causes blockages in their intestines and they die as a result.
• Marine life also suffers this same fate as they mistake plastic bags for jellyfish.
• The number of plastic bags is increasing because they cannot be decomposed. This is causing a huge amount of waste.
• Plastic bags can block drains and cause floods
• Plastic bags are costly, not only in the production but in the clean up required as a result.
Advantages for both consumers and businesses
The banning of plastic bags means that consumers and businesses can do something positive for the environment. Not only are environmentally friendly bags made from organic cotton and other materials sustainable, they are also re-usable and more durable. From a business perspective, environmentally friendly promotional bags can be used by your customers over and over, exposing your brand even more.